PRONOUN AND IT's KINDS
A Pronoun is a word which is used in place of a Noun.
( Don't know what is Noun, What are you waiting for click here - ' Noun ' .)
Example : Hari is absent because Hari is ill.
To avoid repetition of the Noun Hari we'll use he in place of Hari , as ;
Hari is absent because he is ill.
Types Of Pronoun
- Personal Pronoun
- Possessive Pronoun
- Demonstrative Pronoun
- Reflexive Pronoun
- Relative Pronoun
- Reciprocal Pronoun
* Personal Pronoun
A Personal Pronoun refers a specific person or object or group of things directly.
Example : He, she, it, they, I, me, you, him, whom, her, them, etc.
A personal pronoun describes a person or a thing in the following ways :
1st Person : the person who speaks (I ,Me ,we ,us)
2nd Person: the person who is spoken to ( You )
3rd Person : the person or thing which is spoken about (he,she,it,them,her,him,them)
- She shouted for help.
- He bought some nice books
- I am young.
- We are young.
* Possessive Pronoun
A Possessive Pronoun describes a possession to or an ownership of or relationship to a noun.
Example : His, Yours, Hers, Mine, Theirs, Ours, etc.
- This book is yours.
- The key is mine.
- The pen is hers.
- The hours is ours.
- The garden is theirs.
- The knife is his.
- He lost his book. He need yours.
* Reflexive Pronoun
A Reflexive Pronoun expresses a noun when the subject's action affects the subject itself.
Example : myself, yourself, himself, herself, itself, ourselves, themselves.
- I hurt myself.
- You will hurt yourself.
- She locked herself in a room.
- They considered themselves the happiest people of the world.
- We hurt ourselves.
- The food fermented itself.
A Reciprocal Pronoun is used when two or more nouns are reciprocating to each other or one another in some action.
There are two reciprocal pronouns :
- One another
- Each other
- Two kids pushed each other.
- Vibhu and Rimi love each other.
- Two people in engagement ceremony greeted one another.
- Two players in the basketball match mistakenly collided with one another.
* Relative Pronoun
A Relative Pronoun is a word which is used in the relation to a noun and modifies the same noun.
Example : which, who, that, whom, whose, etc.
- She is the girl, who sings songs.
'who' is the Relative Pronoun that modifies the noun.
- It is the dog who barks at the strangers.
- I met Hari who had just returned.
- Here is the book that you lent me.
- I have found the pen which I had lost.
* Demonstrative Pronoun
A Demonstrative Pronoun is the pronoun that points out to a noun.
Example : This, That, These, Those, such, than, neither, nor.
- This book is mine.
- That pen is yours.
- These books are mine.
- Those pens are yours.
- What was that noise?
- This horse is better than that horse.
- The rivers of America are larger than those of Europe.
Let make learning more memorable by doing a Quiz 3, Click here - Quiz 3 . Play Quiz and earn points.