THE NOUN : KINDS OF NOUNS
A Noun is a word used as the name of a person, place, animal,or thing.
Proper Noun :
A Proper Noun is name of some particular person or place.
- Proper means one's own. Hence a Proper Noun is a person 's or things's own name.
- Proper Noun are written with Capital Letters at the beginning.
Common Noun :
A Common Noun is a name given in common to every person or thing of the same class or kind.
- Ashoka was a wise King.
The noun Ashoka refers to a particular king, but the noun king might be applied to any other king as well as to Ashoka .
Therefore, Ashoka is a Proper Noun while King is a Common Noun.
- Sita is a girl .
Sita is a Proper Noun , while girl is a Common Noun.
- Kolkata is a city.
Kolkata is a Proper Noun , while city is a Common Noun.
- India is a country.
India is a Proper Noun , while country is a Common Noun.
Common Noun include what are called Collective Nouns and Abstract Nouns,
Collective Noun :
A Collective Noun is the name of a number of persons or things taken together and spoken of as one whole.
Words like Crowd, mob, team, flock,herd, army, fleet ,jury ,family, nation, parliament, committee are collective Nouns.
- A fleet = a collection of ships or vessels.
- An Army = a collection o f soldiers.
- A crowd = a collection of people.
- The police dispersed the crowd.
- The French army was defeated at Waterloo.
- The jury found the prisoner guilty.
- A herd of cattle is passing .
Abstract Noun :
An Abstract Noun us usually the name of a quality,action or state considered from the object to which it belongs.
Laughter,theft, movement, judgement, hatred.
Another classification of nouns is whether they are 'countable' or
Childhood, boyhood, youth, slavery, sleep, sickness, death,
Countable Noun :
Countable Nouns are the names of objects,people ,etc that we can count.
- Book, Pen, Apple, Boy, Sister, Doctor, Horse.
Uncountable Noun :
Uncountable noun are the names of things which we cannot count.
- milk ,oil, sugar, gold, honesty, etc.
- We can say books (countable), but we can't say milks. We can say it Milk.(uncountable)
To strengthen your knowledge about Nouns, Play Quiz and know your score.
Click here to play quiz Quiz 2 .